Thursday, August 13, 2015

I read from the manual and it was a success

I read from the manual and it was a success. This was in 2008 when I taught grade 8 history. The previous day, I had prepared an ''amazing'' lesson. Well I thought it was amazing. Let's be honest here, what a teacher thinks is amazing can be completely different than what a student thinks is amazing. For example, in 2008, Call of Duty was amazing for most.  It took me more than an hour to prepare this ''great'' lesson of mine. I had written them notes with blanks for the students and they had to follow along a PowerPoint with animation and sounds. They were asked questions which they had to answer in small groups and then present to the group. I was so eager to teach the following day. Well here's the thing. I was tired. The lesson flopped. Some students might of liked it. I wouldn't know. I decided to go to bed early that night.

The following day...

I knew we had a history manual that followed the curriculum. I decided that we were going to read from the manual. What a great lesson it turned out to be! Why was it great? I was fresh and relaxed. We read. We talked. We read some more. We talked some more. I asked questions and I learned from them. The topic was about immigration. I learned a lot about my students' background by conversing with them. Many students came to see me after class and told me:<<Sir, that was the best history class ever!>>. I read from the manual and it was a success.

I don't suggest you read from the manual everyday. I also don't suggest you try to reinvent the wheel every day. Regardless of what you see on Twitter and Facebook, there's no need to be extravagant all the time. Just keep it simple, be yourself and find out what works for your students.

I think students need a variety of lessons that include a variety of teaching strategies.
Sometimes they need to listen.
Sometimes they need to write their own notes.
Sometimes they need to work and answer questions.
Sometimes they need technology.
Sometimes they need to co-construct their knowledge.
And etc...

7 comments:

  1. David, I'm looking at the list at the end of your post. Why do they need all of these things? Do all students need the same at all times, and do all of our practices allow for different options for all students? Do we need these different options? What do you think?

    You're making me think!
    Aviva

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do admit my last paragraph could of been it's own post.

    I wrote it because I find some Tweets arrogant (the my way or the highway tweets).

    To answer your questions:

    They don't need any of these things really or they could need them all. It depends on the student and the situation. I added that last paragraph to make the following point: To each their own. There are many teaching strategies and ways to teach. I think the most important is to be comfortable with the way we teach and to be honest enough to know when it doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the saying "simple is better" was proven true here. Boy can I relate to the long hours of "bells and whistles" planning only to find it not as successful as I had hoped.

    I now realize I used to focus on "engagement" by making lessons "flashy" - it isn't about the technology, but I made it so. I thought the fancier the better and I lost sight of learning.

    It's all a journey. Thanks for reminding me of where I was and where I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for replying. Looking back, after teaching my ''amazing'' history lesson, I remember being crushed lol. You're right, it is all a journey. With open and honest discussions, we continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not every lesson needs to be amazing, but they need to be engaging. Unless you have no home life, family, etc, you cannot afford for every lesson to amaze. Engaging and making a student think is more important. Some admins act like the "manual" is the only way to teach. It is not, but it is always a good guide to expand upon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not every lesson needs to be amazing, but they need to be engaging. Unless you have no home life, family, etc, you cannot afford for every lesson to amaze. Engaging and making a student think is more important. Some admins act like the "manual" is the only way to teach. It is not, but it is always a good guide to expand upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing. You are right, not every lesson needs to be amazing but they need to be engaging. We must understand one's background and experience to fully understand their comments. When you say ''some admins act like the manual is the only way to teach'', I'm assuming it's because you have experienced working for such an admin. I lived through the opposite where admin says to NEVER teach with a manual. I've never been a big fan of absolutes and extremes. I appreciate your comment!

      Delete