Saturday, November 7, 2015

Things I hope my teacher candidates will learn...

In a couple of weeks, I will be receiving another teacher candidate. Here's a list of things I hope he learns. These thoughts are my own and are based on my personal experiences and from tweets I've read on Twitter.

#1 Beware of the pendulum swing or the all or nothing theories

You will read a lot of posts or tweets about new and radical ways of teaching. The authors will tell you that this is the only way (for example: I never talk to the whole group, my students only have standing desks, I never use the manual and etc.). The first problem with these ''new'' theories is that there's nothing new about it. New technology is the only new and innovative thing in the education world. Almost everything else has been done before. They just didn't have the Internet to brag about it. I talked with a retired teacher and she said that all these new ideas were done in the past. The only difference is we now label our ideas differently. The second problem with the all or nothing ways of teaching is when the teachers preach these ideas, they forget that every teacher has their own style of teaching.

#2 Take care of yourself

You must take care of yourself. If you give your students 100% of your energy and 0% to yourself, your mental, physical and spiritual health will decline. It's OK to have more than one passion in life. Actually students will see you as human if you talk to them about your other passions. The last thing anybody needs or wants is a burned out teacher.

#3 Ask for help

''The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing'' Socrates

Respect the more experienced teachers. Ask for their help. It's OK to know nothing. The truth is, you don't. The truth is you have experience as a student and not a teacher...and that's ok. Teaching is a tough job and you must ask for help. Find a mentor that you can share ideas. Find a mentor that will help you grow.

When doing your practicum, don't try to teach your associate teacher. Listen and learn. You know what you know but you don't know what your associate teacher knows.




No comments:

Post a Comment